Friday, July 24, 2009

It’s all coming to an end soon…

(This was written yesterday on July 21)

Hello Everybody-

During last night’s tide the crew brought in 9 fish which works out to about 60 pounds. The run has come and gone for sure. During the tide they decided to stop fishing; they pulled in the nets and brought the boats to the cannery to be lifted out of the water. Wow… it’s over. There is still a lot to do to get everything ready for the winter around here. I think we have fixed all the leaks in the cabins the rain has helped make sure we did it right. Two of the boats have been cleaned and most of the nets have been stripped. I have been collecting garbage and junk at the bottom of the cliff to go to the dump; most of it is rubble from the fire and insulation from the crew cabin. One of the cannery’s has offered one of their trucks and a driver to take the garbage to the dump for us (they had told us this at the beginning of the season after the cabin fire happened), which will be nice.
We have had some crazy winds around here; yesterday the wind got up to 60 mph and is picking up again today. The rain hasn’t been able to make up its mind either. I have just been making a habit of carrying my rain coat with me where ever I go, just in case. I know I was complaining about the hot weather before but I’ll take it back now, I want some sun! The fish have gone now so the warm temperature won’t hurt anything, with a little wind to keep the bugs away.
Today we heard from our neighbor that there was a bear around camp last night. They saw it up by their cabins as it left down the cliff. The dogs were acting kind of weird when they went out this morning; they begin sniffing everything very carefully. Some of the tall grass around our cabins was flattened… Yippes! It was just outside our door; thank goodness I didn’t have to get up to use the outhouse last night! We cleaned up any food garbage hanging around outside the cabins in hopes that he will stay away. I love to see the wildlife around here but I like for them to keep their distance, especially the bears.
Well, time to go eat, enchiladas for lunch/dinner. Yummy! I will write again soon!

-Sarah & the crew

No comments: