Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4: Sad news on Independence Day

I heard that there was a boat fire in Egegik the night of July 3, a boat that fished for AGS. One person was killed and two or three others were badly burned. I was told that they were part of a well-loved and well-respected family from the nearby village of Kipnuk, the Paul family. It is very sad and sobering news. Of course, it could have been any of us. Any of us in fishing; any of us anywhere. I do not know how to feel my heart's aching sadness over the loss of those good and kind people (and all the other connected losses)
at the same time as feeling my heart's bursting joy over the beauty of this dangerous world we live in. I don't know how to express my sadness and respect for those who were lost and injured, and for those who love them, and in the next paragraph, describe the relentless press of life. When it was my own personal loss, it sort of seemed like the world should stop. With the loss not quite so personal, but knowing how it feels, I sort of feel like at least I should stop. But it doesn't work that way. All I can do is try to find a way to stretch enough to have all of that - the joy and the suffering - all at once. My heart goes out to the Paul family.

No comments: