Monday, July 11, 2011

July 10: The fleet is in, many happy birthdays

To me, July 10 if first my sister's birthday, then my brother-in-law's (Happy Birthday, Bruce), and then Paul Chukan's, a local oldtimer, long ago passed on.


Today was the first day we weren't allowed to fish for about stinky two weeks and the fleet was in port, in force. Everyone wanted a shower and a chance to do laundry. I overcome both problems by never removing my clothing unless it's wet - and then it's kind of washed so I just hang it to dry, beat the salt out of it, and start over.

My crew also headed in to town for showers and laundry. Roger got a photo of the boats tied up at the dock.

This day also saw some serious sleeping on the part of the crew, the scattering of my sister's ashes (the one whose birthday it was), and some bread baking (with cinnamon rolls).

My mom will return to Palmer on the 12th and my nephews, the next day. Mom has been staying in town with a friend, but Chris and Joe have been here... and they've been dynamos. They got the kerosene heater working again; they repaired the bunkhouse so it's dry inside (that'll probably last for two years); and just this morning, they offered to go into town to get water (and they ended up with a list of groceries needed for crewmember-Chris' birthday). We got an opening on the 11th from 8 am to 4 pm. "Bankers' hours," says Makenzie.

No comments: