Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11: Chris and Patrick have arrived

I get to have it both ways. I love it when I'm here alone - just me (and Sage), the water, the (cold) wind, and the tundra. With just enough contact with people to keep from getting lonely. And then, when the crew starts to arrive, I love their company and energy and just how darned much fun they are. The pace changes abruptly.


Their flight was due in just after noon, meaning I'd have to start the walk to the truck by about 10:30. I haven't gotten used to these tides yet... this is where the tide was at about 10. What?? The tide is never this high at 10 am. Soon I'll remember to post a photo of how far out the tide goes - miles. It's really quite a dramatic tide change.

Chris and Patrick are part of the Montana contingent. Patrick is new this year and I'm really looking forward to getting to know him. They have had a great effect on the crew cabin so far - it's looking better than I've seen it in years. I'm not sure what is gone or what they did with it, but it doesn't feel so closed in any more.

We brought the four-wheelers down the beach, along with the truck. Chris didn't realize how muddy it is below the stairs, so he drove the truck right into it, right up to the axles. Luckily, the tide was going out, so there was no panic about it. We decided that they would settle in first, then we would unstick the truck and then proceed with whatever the rest of the day would permit.

But there was a knock at my cabin door. Sam, the younger delightful son of my beloved long time fishing neighbor, popped his head in to say that someone with a winch on his truck had stopped and was willing to unstick the truck. I love Alaska and Alaskans. As we were down there, a neighbor on the other side stopped by with another offer to pull us out. It's almost worth getting stuck - no, it is worth getting stuck - to be able to receive so much kindness all in one day.


With much effort, they hauled out the truck - it tried to get high centered on a pretty big boulder that was hidden under all that mud. But the winch wasn't deterred, and the truck was freed from the mud. And it still drives, so I think all is well.

It is very very cold. Low 40s with a very strong wind coming in off the water. Tomorrow: more crew and tackling the anchors and buoys and maybe even putting a net out.

1 comment:

susan said...

Stay warm! I would say "stay dry" but I'm not sure that is possible.