Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 4: Hips and thighs

Uh oh… I just came back from my first tour of the sites, looking for last year’s anchors. At least I burned off the Hershey bar I shouldn't have eaten.

One change accounts for several things. The one change is that there is a lot of mud out on the outside sites, where we usually have only sand. That accounts for why I couldn’t find most of the screw anchors, and we turned them up quite a bit last year so they would stand up more. I found the loop to which some corks were tied to the outside anchor on the first site (except the corks were gone). The anchor was beneath the mud under the loop. At least I think it was the outside anchor. It's easy to get confused.

I think I found the Hakkenen’s outside anchor – but not their inside anchor. And we can always find their inside anchor. In fact, we find two of them. I found what might be an outside or an inside anchor on the fourth
site – I couldn’t tell which because the neighbors put in a new anchor well outside the anchor I found, and a little close to it. Have they always fished outside us? And close? Or way inside?

I think all that mud may also account for the high tides – the water is displaced by a higher bottom so it runs farther in. I just made that up. I wonder if it's true.

That's my boot - not out of focus, just covered in very slippery, very sticky, very deep mud. Think: hips and thighs; hips and thighs. If we get a good, strong onshore wind, that should clean it up. If it happens soon enough, it may uncover some anchors. Otherwise, we have a little more setting up work ahead of us than usual and we'll have some strong leg muscles by the end of the season. "Hips and thighs; hips and thighs."

1 comment:

rubinajo said...

(yay blog updates!)

So would a strong wind clear up the mud by churning up the water and creating waves that would carry it out? Just trying to figure out the physics.

sonja