Tuesday, July 12, 2016

July 11 2016: Maybe the fish have arrived. To sleep or to blog?

Just a short blog. I'll have to catch up with photos later. All is well here, except for some swollen hands and sleeplessness. It was supposed to be my tide off this morning, but I thought we'd get some fish, so I didn't take it. Austin wasn't going to be outworked by a 61 year-old lady, so he also declined to take the tide off. The morning tide brought only a few so we decided we'd take the afternoon tide off. Since we could sleep later, Austin and I ran some kings into town and got some hardware at Ace to try to fix the rowboat's stern and the ranger's box. And I had my... second? third? shower of the season!

Success on the rowboat! Success on the ranger box, though it will be harder to open now. Mostly, we don't need to anymore. I finally lay down at about 5:30 PM. The crew was planning to go out at 8 PM for the evening flood pick. They would have gone sooner, but it's a short tide and we really couldn't get out to the nets yet.

I'd been asleep for an hour or so when my phone rang. It was Harry letting me know that they were getting lots of fish and we'd probably get some too. I'd been having second thoughts about taking the tide off anyway because the wind is up again, though not as rough as it was a few days ago. Harry's call decided me. And if it was slow, I could always come back in. I was so glad he called!!

We got out as soon as the outboard would push us and we probably had 4000 lbs on our first site. I think it took us an hour and a half to get through just one net. We filled five brailer bags. Thank goodness AGS sent us a tender! We delivered 10,000 lbs to the Beachcomber before they had to go.

The crew gets better and better. Poor Austin - he didn't get the call from my brother, so he was sleeping blissfully away in the bunkhouse and missed all the excitement.

Jeff piloted the Ambi as expected, and Patrick, David D, and Oksanna crewed - and I put in a guest appearance. David N piloted the New Kid with all new crew (Inku, Davey, and Matt). Both crews did great! Never stopped working, never complained, good to each other, good to the fish, getting faster and faster. We had a good tide!

Now it's time for sleep.

No comments: