Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4 PM tide

Another short post. The fish have been disregarding the calendar. It used to be that July 4 marked the peak of the run. Not last year and I hope not this year. Last year, the run started for us on July 13 (a record late start) and peaked on July 17 (a record late peak). I hope something like that is happening this year; otherwise it will be very disappointing for many of us and for salmon eaters the world over.

We've been rotating crew out for sleep. David D and Inku had the afternoon tide off (though for them, "off" meant taking kings into the freezer and getting temporarily trapped in there). We didn't have to stay late into the tide, so I came in and while Inku put on beef stew, grilled a king salmon, and heated up some clam chowder, I made biscuits. That's the kind of food that keeps me powered.

It turns out that I only need power for recuperation during the upcoming tide. Even though our fishing period was extended, it looks like it's my turn to rotate out. I won't be as useful as David D and Inku - and the other crew members who have rotated before me. After I hit "publish" and brush my teeth, I'm sleeping for many hours in a row, able to sleep because we have a great crew who have already learned a tremendous amount, and they promised to call me if they run into trouble that they need help with.

It's another very high tide tonight but the wind is remaining calm.

No comments: