Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pre-season days, June 3, Day 4

Today on the way out to the outhouse, I saw a robin on the same doghouse. This time it looked like a bird on a house; yesterday it looked like a bird on a stump. I think it would take about 4 stacks of 10 robins to be the same size as that eagle was.

I spent most of the day inside working on Seattle work. It’s always a relief when I don’t to go into town, although I do enjoy seeing the people in there. The bustle of the place is sort of jangly to the nerves.

The inverter that converts the DC of the battery (charged so far via solar panels) to AC for the computer and the wireless antenna was making a funny noise. So I climbed up into the loft to investigate, which pretty much amounts to wiggling stuff. But doing that, I burned my hand on the red connection. That made me think it was hot. I don’t know if it is supposed to be hot like that… so I put a battery in the smoke detector. Which will probably go off tomorrow morning when I make toast.

I did hang the gutter today and mend the barrel. The mending material is amazing and I think everyone should have it under their kitchen sink. It’s not quite as convenient as duct tape, but it’ll hold your house together. It’s called Splash Zone. It comes in two cans. One has yellow putty type stuff in it and the other has black putty stuff in it. Wearing rubber gloves, you grab an equal size glob of each one and mix them together – like play doh. It’s easier if you do it with wet gloves – or just under water. Once it’s mixed to a sort of olive green color, you just smear it onto whatever you want to mend – wood, metal, plastic, fiberglass. It will cure in the air or underwater. It just needs to be at least 50 degrees (which I’m not sure it is today – we might find out how forgiving it is).

Liz

No comments: