Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pre-season days, June 1, Day 2

Today was quieter. Sorted through extra clothing –what to keep, what to store, what to discard, what to launder. I found the tabs, but they were for the wrong truck. Dang. So I went to King Salmon to get tabs for truck (still in Harry’s name, but they issued them anyway), get cell phone (BB Cellular does require an annual contract after all. It’s too expensive, so I’ll try GCI via Harry and the Palmer office), check on frozen freight (not in yet). Just as well on that because the freezer, although set up and plugged in yesterday, did not become cold. Uh oh. Emailed the Frigidaire people. Went to the post office to pick up permits (I hope! All were there except Josh’s. Uh oh) and all the stuff I’ve been ordering for the season that could be delivered here as easily as Seattle – and then I don’t need to ship it. The post master told me that next time, she would have to send back anything that they needed to hold for more than 15 days, unless I called and talked to them about it. I was so glad she didn’t send them back. That’s one of the many nice things about a small town. It was a difficult day, so I ate Sweet Tarts and chocolate – three different kinds. Consider it medicinal.

I still couldn’t make myself bring the warm room stuff and the stuff from the post office up the cliff and back to the cabin. Where would I put it anyway? It’s still pretty crowded in this 12’ x 20’ space. It’ll be ok in the truck. We have a canopy.


I did get Sage’s dog bed assembled and put into place. I had put her pillow on the floor, but the condensation was so bad, the pillow was always wet and moldy. I tried a piece of corrugated tin under the pillow, hoping that the room for air circulation would keep it dry. Nope. So I went to a raised dog bed. So far (1 day), so good.

Went for a walk tonight and found two more agates and saw seven (7!) eagles. Got within 100’ of one that was perching on a rock before it flew away. And I don’t know whether it flew away because of me or because of Sage. (I'll post a photo.) I thought I would be walking in the evening light, but it only came out now, at 11 pm. This would be the best agate-finding light. Sorry I missed it – maybe tomorrow.

Liz

No comments: