Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Birthday, Chris!!

The lemon cheesecake and the roast will need to wait a day or two, but it'll come. We set the nets this morning with the Friendly Ranger. It seemed to me yesterday that one of the brakes was failing - you know how when your brakes get wet and then you apply the brakes, you sort of skid ahead? That's what the ranger was doing yesterday. So Bob is going to look at it. First though, he needed to drive it. Hey - he could test it and we could get the nets set all at the same time.

The sleep felt good - I slept from about 9 pm to 8:30 when the alarm clock woke me up. The problem with sleeping is that my body begins to think things are normal so it starts to report in about parts that are suffering: hand - nope, we don't close and we still feel asleep; feet - toes are complaining about the cramped quarters; back - and so on. I'm not quite ready to hear the reports.

Now we're in for an hour - I asked Trina to stay in to get food ready. And then we'll see if we can go find 2001 lbs of salmon to take us to 200,000 for the season. I'll report in when we get back from the tide.

Yep - we made it over 200,000 - our total now is 201,111 lbs of salmon. Yum! That's probably about 400,000 meals we've provided. The next target is 202,243 - the second highest season we've ever had - 2007.

The tide was pretty slow - no wind at all and no current. So Trina and I scampered into town to get cheesecake makings for Chris' birthday cake while the rest of the crew wrapped up the tide. We go again at 1 AM for 20 hours. Though we don't usually get much in the dark, the whole ebb will be in daylight, so we may have a good tide.

Now, a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo! What an exciting season you've been having.

The more my friends read this, the more envious they are of where I live.