Friday, July 16, 2010

How could it possibly be getting *colder?*

The crew doesn't complain, but Josh said that there were happy to hear that we are now fishing for homepack and when we fulfill everyone's homepack desires, we'll pull the nets. I'm looking forward to uninterrupted sleep and I really want to play CatchPhrase and Cranium with them.

Unless we get another push in the next few days, this will probably be our second best season ever - and we're all thrilled with that; we've certainly worked hard for it. We were out on the flood pick at 5:30 this morning - foggy and cold, but little wind and very few fish - less than 200 lbs. We might do better on the ebb. And we pulled out about 15 fish for our homepack. Josh and I are combining our homepack orders for 160 salmon, plus the kings (except what I can make myself give up to crew members who want them).

I don't think we've ever had a season before with so much fishing - we've been open every tide since the emergency period started on June 23, and we've fished all but two of them. That's a heck of a lot of fishing. This will probably be one of those seasons where we sit and stare for a while after we get home.

My thoughts are beginning to turn to re-entry into Seattle life, where tide and wind don't really matter, but time of day and traffic congestion does - those barely compute right now. Even though I long mightily to see my Seattle friends again, re-entry is always the hardest time of the year for me. I think, though, I'll try to delay thinking about it for a while - after all, I'm still here and we have quite a bit ahead of us - including a skiff trip to the Katmai bear preserve. We might even stay overnight (deliberately).

No comments: