Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Debby and Bruce!

Today is our sister Debby's birthday and Bruce's, Trina's husband. Bruce has been given honorary sister status so I guess that makes him Debby's twin.

The weather completely calmed down. The biggest threat was from the mosquitoes, so we set all the nets. Did OK on the first pick through, but no one to deliver to. I had a chance to take some photos of the non-storm sky. I did keep scanning for a sneak-gale - something ominous looking, but so far, so good. We set our nets at 11 PM. As always, after setting, we go by the other boats to make sure all is well. I was relieved by the weather and as usual, moved by the beauty of this place I get to spend my summer. This first photo is of the other two boats: the Grayling on the left with Erik (stern), Josh (yellow sou'wester), and Jeff (bow) and the New Boat with Trina (orange raincoat) and David (stern). They are hanging out as hard-working fishermen, letting the nets fish before going through them. I still wasn't completely secure that a storm wasn't sneaking up on us, but it remained as calm as this looks.


When I looked around, though, I could see the scowling sky and retreating storm. This photo shows a drifter in the shadow of the storm with a setnet buoy in the foreground and the sun preparing to set shining above the cloud and on the water.

Finally, a near-sunset photo that I just couldn't resist. The water really was these two colors that matched the colors of the sky. Those are our neighbors in the skiff to the far right of the photo. We weren't the only ones that decided that the weather warnings were probably unwarranted.

We went through the nets and came in by about 12:15 am, to return to check the nets an hour before high water at 1 AM. Happily, at that time, I noticed that the Friendly Ranger had returned. I had noticed the day before that it was no longer sitting on the beach, meaning it was probably one step closer to being fixed. It is now fixed.

We delivered about 600 or 700 lbs from those picks and are now back in the cabins, waiting for the ebb pick at 4:30 AM. We have time for a little nap.

We usually do better on the ebb. We're all hopeful about catching our fourth place record on this tide.

We did it. We got in about 6:30 am having delivered 1,967 lbs of the best food in the world. We're now in fourth place against our own record. I think we'll be able to make it into the top three.

We have had a run on Dolly Vardens! They are a type of trout and since they're not salmon, we don't put them in the bag. My mother despised Dolly's and threw them away as trash fish. The sportsmen on the crew thought we should eat them. There were six! So they cleaned and I filleted them. I pan fried the first three but it was becoming too tedious for me so when the crew wakes up for the next tide, it'll be Dolly Varden curry over Israeli couscous. In addition to the curry paste, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, tumeric, cumin, and cinnamon, because it tasted a little salty, I put in some potatoes, garbanzo beans and green beans.

No comments: