Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 3: Four doors to the wind

I woke up thinking that the 60 mph wind may have occurred yesterday. It was calm this morning. I took the truck to higher ground last night, something we haven’t done for a couple of years now, just in case the wind blew the tide up the beach too far. Looking over the cliff this morning, I think it was a good call. But here we are at mid-morning and the wind has picked up. I feel it snaking its way through the many openings around the door. So like last night, I’ve buttoned up the cabin as tightly as I can pulling shut the piece of hinged plywood that serves as the outer mudroom door (securing it with a bungee), pushing shut the inner mudroom door (securing it with a full water jug), pulling shut the metal security door (the home improvement that I thank every year for saving me the crawl through the “tundra-ator” and under the cabin after having secured its predecessor, a heavy piece of plywood secured from the inside with carriage bolts), and the cabin door.
The water out in front of us is many shades of green and covered with white caps. It is beautiful to look at, but I’m glad not to be fishing in it. I think maybe yesterday was not the only day of the strong wind. I believe it is building as I type.

Today is the day to try to get the generator started. My brother tells me that the trick to getting it going is to pull for a while and then walk away from it for a while and come back and try again later. That idea would not naturally occur to an impatient and determined person – I’m glad he told me.

At the end of the day I can report that the generator has not started. I noticed that the gas was not turned off, nor run out last year before putting it away so there may be a thin veneer of shellac where fuel should be running. We left the other one with Roy last year – I’ll swap them tomorrow. Also, the pantry is cleaned – that was a job. Now, just the loft, my shelves and under my bunk to go.

No comments: