Saturday, June 4, 2011

March 2011 Time for the barge

The second big event in getting ready for the season occurs in March. The first barge sails early April and if we catch this barge, we can just toss our season's supplies in with our fish buyer's for a much lower price for transportation. So my friend Ian pitched in and helped me shop for 6 to 8 week's worth of non perishable food and other items for a group of I-didn't-know-how-many, but I knew it would be between 8 and 17, for at least part of the season. And I wasn't sure who yet. In addition to food, we fill up the propane containers, get life jackets, and try to imagine what else we would need for the coming season.
We stood in front of the 7 KW Honda generator at Costco for about 5 minutes trying to decide whether I really needed it or whether it just met my over-developed security motivation. We already have two 1000 Watt Honda generators with a pair of twinning cables, so I thought I was just trying to buy extra security and it seemed a little too expensive for that.

For about a week, my living room at home is jammed with Alaska supplies which are then packed into fish boxes and coolers which, at the end of the season, will bear our homepack back to Seattle.

No comments: