Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5: Last day of getting the cabin ready

8 loads of laundry (David, I think I found some of your missing clothing) and 4 bags of garbage. And I charged everything I could carry.

I never did get the generator to start, so I took that in too. And the dutch oven that had rusted hopelessly over the winter to be sand blasted back to the iron and then seasoned.

The other 1000 watt generator lived in town over the winter and when Roy went to start it this season, it leaked its gas all over the place. Diagnosis: something wrong with the diaphragm. When he opened it up, it all sort of sprang all apart. (He likened it to luggage after TSA has had its way with it.) Luckily, he's kind of a genius about stuff like that so I think we'll be back up to two generators before the season is over.


I'm sitting at the kitchen table, at 11 pm finishing this up, with the sun that's about 30 minutes from setting shining through the window. I feel like I should be washing the dishes so I have an excuse to stand there and look out at it. Here it is - tonight's very sunset.

We still have multiple truckloads of supplies to bring down from town, signs to get out so anyone who needs to know whose net that is out there can tell, anchors and anchor lines to find and failing that, more anchors to put down. Buoys (marked properly) to get out, skiffs to ready (my rule is that each skiff needs at least three things: a way to go, a way to stop, and a way to get the water out), nets to find and set.

Tomorrow, though, will contain a lot of Seattle-related work.

No comments: